Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Deboullie

Every once in a while, you need to branch out or take a leap beyond normal and just plain go fishing at another location. And that is exactly what TC and I did. So, when TC said, why don’t you take the afternoon off and go fishing at Deboullie?  She did not have to ask twice.

Friday, when I got home from work, TC had all the equipment ready to load and was at the door waiting to take off. Now, for those of you who have not heard of the Deboullie Mountain region, you are really missing a wonderful area. Nestled in this area are some of the nicest clean, clear ponds and campsites that you will find anywhere. The land is owned and maintained by the State of Maine Parks and Recreation. Also, tucked in the parks confines is Red River Camps. These sporting camps have been there for some time and just simply are a vacationer’s paradise. Red River Camps, is however, for another blog so I will leave it where it is for now.

Deboullie Region is accessible through the North Maine Woods, from either Portage, Maine traveling up through the Fish River checkpoint and over the Hewes Brook Road, or from the Saint Francis, Maine checkpoint. The area includes a number of excellent trout fishing ponds and camping sites that are well maintained, with many sitting next to one of the ponds. There are also a number of hiking trails in the park that take you to spots where the scenery will take your breath away.

TC and I traveled up through Portage to Deboullie this day. Once in the friendly confines of the park, we headed straight for a pond that I last fished with TC’s father over ten years ago. At that time, we caught trout over 18 inches. Now, to access this pond, you need to carry your canoe a fair distance. I recalled a landing much closer that would get us on to the pond without having to carry too far. And that is where the day became interesting. When we first looked at the site, it appeared that there was enough water to paddle up into the pond. So, we put the canoe in the water and shoved off. That was mistake number one. We went a short ways and then the boat bottomed out, on mud, no less. And there we sat trying desperately to turn around and get back to shore. I was doing my best to get that boat to reverse course and TC was having fun at my expense. We would get it turned a bit and would hit more mud. Now, when I say mud, I mean the kind where when pushing the paddle in to get some sort of grip, it goes out of sight. Yes, it just keeps dropping with no end in sight. It reminded me of quick sand. Well, we moved and we pushed, and I knew there was no way for me to get out of the boat and physically turn it around, because down to the depths I would have gone. You know, like the Rambo movie where he comes up out of the mud, only I am not sure I would have been able to come up. As I labored to get that canoe to turn, TC was in the front having a grand old time. I knew she was trying her best, but I also knew she was laughing inside at me. When we finally got out and back to shore, the canoe looked like it had participated in a mud run and that is in fact what TC said. We had gone “mud canoeing”. Or as she implied, “doing a little red neck canoeing”.

Once back on dry, hard land, we pulled the canoe back onto the trail and decided that we would walk down to the landing zone and see if we could find any canoes already there. When we got there, a canoe awaited us and we put our gear in and off we went. The pond was as beautiful as I remembered it and the reflection of the rock face shined into the water. As we got on the pond, I looked across and saw a lone white tail deer on the shore. It appeared to be feeding. TC and I worked our way over as she fished and we got within 30 feet of her. She was content to feed on the grass by the water and although she kept us in sight, she seemed to understand that we were not going to harm her. We took a number of photos of her and then all of a sudden, she walked slowly into the woods and was gone. She reappeared later and continued to work the side of the water before she left for good. We fished the pond for a while and finally decided to head out. We replaced the canoe and took our gear back to the truck. Once we were packed, we decided to travel over to another pond in the park called Perch Pond and have our dinner. TC had brought spaghetti and homemade sauce and I had brought the Coleman stove. We fired it up and cooked the noodles and sauce and had a feast. Then we headed over to Pushineer Pond.  Pushineer has some very pretty campsites and generally is the most sought after area when campers come in. We just happened to find one that was empty and took the time to look at the beauty around us. We snapped a few photos and then decided to call it a day. We made our way to the Saint Francis checkpoint and then out to Fort Kent, where we stayed the night at TC’s dad’s place. We had to update him on our days fishing activities and at 89 years old, he was as sharp as ever letting me know that he was with me the last time we fished this pond and he caught some nice fish. He also remembered where the hole was and asked if I had found it. When I told him that I did not remember where it was, he let me know that his mind was still sharper than mine. The next day, we drove back into the park and decided that we would try another pond. We pulled the canoe off and loaded it and made our way out on the water. This time, we did not have to do any mud canoeing. We noticed the fish were jumping and it wasn’t long before I caught a nice 9 inch brook trout.TC had a few bites before the ominous clouds began to make their way over the mountains. Then all of a sudden the thunder cracked and we decided it was time to get off the water. Mother Nature gave us enough time to load our gear and canoe before the heavens opened up and the rain came beating down.  That rain continued to fall all the way back to Portage.

TC and I often remark that we lived so close to Deboullie all of our life, but never really took advantage of what it had to offer. We look back and say that it would have been a great place to take our boys and enjoy the real outdoors. We hope to make up for lost time and spend more time there in the future. And by the way, our youngest son will be flying in soon and we plan to spend time there, including a night at Red River Camps. That, my friends, will be the subject of my next blog, so stay tuned.
For more on the Deboullie area, visit this website:  



One of the nicest ponds you will see 



A campsite view of Pushineer Pond


No comments:

Post a Comment