Sunday, September 16, 2012


We all need to be thankful!  #25


You know, I am fortunate. I am very thankful that I have been healthy enough to do the things I want to do. Stop and think for a minute about the things we take for granted every day of our lives.  In my life, I get to choose when I want to hunt and fish. Where I want to go to hunt and fish, and how long I want to stay there.  I get to plan for these excursions without having to worry about other things that might prevent me from doing them, like my health.

TC and I are proud of where we grew up. The people in Fort Kent, not unlike other towns and cities, are hardworking folks that really care about the people around them. We are just a bit more partial to them and what they do. We get back to Fort Kent as much as we can, but not like years past when our family was all together and we visited relatives there.  We still keep tabs on them, and somehow feel their pain when something happens there. In this particular case, the town is joining together to help one of its own.  She is a little 3 year old girl who has been diagnosed with a form of childhood leukemia, and her name is Kearston Albert.

Now, TC and I have never met Kearston or her family but my friends on Facebook from Fort Kent have kept us all informed about her illness and their desire to help the family. See, that is what folks in Fort Kent do so well. They are already developing fundraisers for her and her family to help them as they go forward.  I also read about Kearston in an article that was well done by the Bangor Daily News on September 12.  The article spoke of her mother and how she told Kearston that they were both princesses and were going to slay the dragons together.  My heart melted when I continued to read the article, and after some of her treatments, Kearston told her mother that she didn’t want to slay the dragons anymore.

TC and I will be following Kearston as she travels down the road to recovery.  And I know that our friends in Fort Kent will keep us posted on her progress.  It also puts in perspective for me how lucky I have been and currently am. Each of us needs to remember that as we wake up every day. I know for sure that the next time I go in the woods; I will remember how fortunate I am.

Kearston, you keep slaying those dragons with your mom until you have gotten every last one.  Remember, that you have folks you don’t even know who are thinking of you and your family. We will be keeping track of your progress. That’s what folks from Fort Kent do.


No comments:

Post a Comment