Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Systematic Approach to Tying Flies #40

A week or so has passed since I was involved in a meeting at work where we took a sort of test to evaluate our personality style. It was no surprise to me that I was rated as Systematic. Now, a systematic personality is a person who needs a lot of information to evaluate things before they make a decision. Information such as data and metrics help me make decisions. The lack of that sort of information drives me to ask questions and seek more information so that I can process it in my mind, and then make an informed decision. I also need to see, in my mind, the finished product in some form or I have to research it until it makes sense.

Well, it should be no surprise to you that when I was asked by some folks to tie a certain fly for them, first I had to look at it, think about it, and then go to you tube for some more information. Unfortunately, that did not satisfy me. So, I sought information from a reliable source, and I knew that he would help me through it.

Let me start from the beginning. While at fourth Musquacook Lake, I was asked to tie some flies for the people there. The fly looked rather simple to make. It was made with two components, chenille and marabou. It seemed quite easy, but there was one thing that concerned me. I had never used marabou before and I was not sure how to transform it from the package to the finished product. My first stop in trying to understand it was You Tube. I watched a video on how to use it, but it really did not give me what I needed. So, I decided that it was time to ask the expert.

So, Saturday, I decided to head to my old stomping grounds, Fort Kent. TC and I headed up RT 161 to one of my most favorite places on earth. We both grew up in Fort Kent and have a lot of special memories of that place. The people there are so friendly, and I always enjoy going back, although many of my friends are now gone, some of my old friends still live there. Once in Fort Kent, we headed for the home of my 87 year old fishing partner, Rosaire. Now, if you have been reading my blogs, you know about Rosaire. You should remember that there are three rules in play when dealing with Rosaire. They are:
1.) Rosaire is always right
2.) When you know Rosaire is wrong, he is still right
3.) Rosaire always catches the biggest fish each year.

We stopped at Rosaire’s place and I told him that I needed a lesson in how to use Marabou. Of course, first, I had to listen to him tell me that he had been fishing that week and he had caught a lot of fish. I asked him where they were, and he said that he had let them all go. Right away, I remembered rule #3. Now at 87, you can imagine that he does not get around as well as he used to. I have known Rosaire for well over 35 years and have been fortunate to have fished with him. I don’t recall too many times when he caught the biggest fish but, again, I remembered rule #1. Rosaire took me down to his fly tying room and I told him what the fly looked like. He pulled out some gray chenille and some marabou, and we proceeded to experiment with the pattern in my head. Rosaire gave me the skinny on how to use marabou, and talked me through it until it made sense. After about an hour, we had copied the fly to the tee and I had a much better understanding of the use of marabou. From the systematic point of view, I had what I needed and was ready to tie some myself when I got home. Once again, Rosaire had helped me when You Tube could not.

As I left, it saddened me that he was having a bit of a hard time getting around. Slowly, his fishing was taking a back seat to his aging and that was unfortunate, but beyond control. Still, it made me happy that I could take some of his vast knowledge and put it to good use. I know for sure when I am stuck, Rosaire will be there to help me and get me through the systematic way of thinking that drives me. The results are far better than any computer video.

Oh, and as for rule #2, you can tell I am processing when I have a smile on my face on certain things he is saying while he is talking to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment