Monday, January 7, 2013


A Very Nice Christmas Present  #31


Winter is often the serious fisherman’s time to prepare for the upcoming season. That means you need to check your tackle, reels, lines and most importantly your flies. I spend the winter tying the flies I need to replenish my stock. After the New Year, my vice comes out, I make a list of what I need to accomplish what I am undertaking, and then I go to work.  This year, my plan is to tie some irresistible flies, green drakes, nymphs and of course, that fly that treated me so well last year.  By March, I will have them all completed and my gear will be ready to go. Fishing season starts in April, although many areas of the woods are not passible due to the snow and mud. Between now and then, time will fly by and before long, I will be in a canoe paddling out to my favorite holes.

Now, one other thing that you have to check are your rods. In December, I stopped by one of my favorite fly rod shops just across the Canadian border in Clair, New Brunswick. Clair is just across the border from Fort Kent, Maine. A number of years ago, I was introduced to Luc Gagne, who is a master fly rod builder. I am proud to own a rod that Luc built and it is by far, my favorite, and most cherished rod I have. Luc’s craftsmanship is exquisite. So, while I was there, he brought out a blank he was about to transform into a 9 ft 5 weight graphite fly rod. As he was showing me it, my mind began to wonder and I thought what a nice rod it would make for TC for Christmas. So, I asked Luc to put it together and call me when it was finished.  The weekend before Christmas, Luc emailed and told me that the rod was complete. We made arrangements to meet at his shop and when I saw it, his craftsmanship and skill had come through again. The rod was beautiful, and I immediately bought it and it became TC’s Christmas present. Now, both of us have a rod that Luc built and they will be in our family for a long time to come.  If you are looking for a well-built rod, I highly encourage you to email or call Luc. His rods are worth owning and they will last a lifetime if they are properly cared for.  As for the fishing season, TC is already talking about getting in the canoe and trying out that new rod. Come on, Spring!

If you would like more information on Luc Gagne and LG Fly & Rod, check out his website. You can find it at www.lgflyrod.com

No comments:

Post a Comment