Monday, April 2, 2012


Opening Day 2012, fishing that is #4



For many of us, September 30, 2011 was a sad day. It was the day we had to put our fishing gear away. Yes, I know that some ponds remained open and there was still some quality fishing out there, but from my standpoint, fishing season came to a close. I recall our last fishing expedition last year when my wife and I took the drive up the Pinkham Rd and into Little Ragged Pond in Northern Piscataquis County. This pond is one of our favorites with a well-stocked trout population, beautiful views and a nice campsite to cook our lunch at, not to mention we have always done well there. I remember that fall day with a crispness in the air, very little wind and the sun shining high in the sky. As that day came to a close and we were driving out of the pond road, I recall thinking that I could not wait until the canoe was atop my truck again and my wife and I were back in the North Maine Woods casting that fly out as far as it would go.
For many of us, the fishing season does not really end in September.  Yes, it is true that the lines might not get wet, but there is maintenance that needs to be performed, such as putting the poles away, replacing the old fly lines with new fresh ones, and making sure that the lines are properly put away. But for me, the vice comes out and the fly tying material goes to work. My goal is to replenish the flies in my tackle box so that I will be ready to go in April. I find that the flies I use most include the Hornberg, Muddler, Light and Dark Hendrickson and both Cahill flies work the best. Mix in some wolf flies and of course Green Drakes and my dry fly box is good to go. When the water is warmer and the fish are down deeper, I tend to lock in my spool that has the sink tip line and drag those tiny nymphs on the bottom. I have to admit that one of my biggest fish caught was a trout on a gold beaded nymph on Horseshoe Pond. I still have the photo of that fish in my net on my wall in my office.

So, April is here and it is time to stop dreaming and get the fishing gear out, prep and register the canoes and find some open water.  Are you ready for some fishing?  Remember that the North Maine Woods has many great ponds, lakes and streams and the gate prices are remaining the same for 2012.


1 comment: